Refurbishment Finance

If you are purchasing a property that is in need of refurbishment, or you plan to carry out works to the property under planning permission, it is possible for us to arrange funding towards the purchase and to also finance the build costs. If you extend a property or refurbish the interior or exterior, the value could increase significantly and we can base our lending on the end value of the project.

The lenders offering refurbishment finance do not have such strict criteria as development finance providers on having completed 2 or 3 similar projects, so it is a good place to start if you are looking to complete your first project and then move onto something bigger.

This type of finance is suitable for property investors, landlords and developers who are looking to refurbish or convert a property before selling or renting it. The refurbishment finance is based on the value of the project once completed, with funds released in stages and lenders offering up to 100% of refurbishment costs.


This type of finance works well for different types of scenario, including:-
  • Converting commercial property to residential – you will normally either require a ‘change of use’ granted via the local authority in order to convert a commercial property into a residential one, or full planning permission. This will depend on how much you are reconfiguring the internal layout of the property.
  • Converting a property from a house to flats or converting a property from flats to a house – It’s important to consider planning consent and building regulation approvals when undertaking projects such as these. Typically, this may take up to 6 months to complete.
  • Funding a rear or side extensions or loft conversions – Through the addition of a rear extension, side return, roof extension or loft conversion the property value can increase significantly. These types of projects can usually be completed under permitted development rights, although it is sensible to obtain a certificate of lawful use.
  • Converting a property to an House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) – Improvement or conversion work requiring planning consent and/ or building regulations approval and where a change of use may be required.
  • Barn or farm building conversions – we have lenders who will fund the cost of converting these buildings into a residential property which will normally require planning permission. The amount you borrow will be based on how much the property is likely to be worth once completed.


We have a large selection offering this type of funding for various types of projects so please do not hesitate to get in touch with us today, so we can discuss your plans and provide you with a no obligation quote.